Sunday, December 09, 2007

TGSE: Day Seven

Oh, the suspense! I did not bake my bread today. Since I was having fondue tonight and wouldn't be eating this bread, I opted to retard the shaped bread in the fridge tonight and bake it tomorrow.

What did I do? Well, I added a ridiculous 32oz of flour to the firm starter and had to knead it by hand, since it was way too big for any non-commercial mixer. I'm not one of those "love to knead" people, especially with this unwieldy mass. I thought I was going to sprain my wrist. I gave up after 20 minutes, though it still wasn't really passing the windowpane test, and threw it in this 6qt container for a 4 hour rise.



after a 4hr rise, double trouble

Then I shaped it into a boule (or ball) and plopped it seam-side up in my banneton (proofing basket), which I haven't used in probably 3 years. Then into the fridge (I hardly had space considering my barm is taking up quite a bit of real estate). Tomorrow I take it out for another 4 hour rise, then bake. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I also made a firm starter for sourdough bread that I'll mix together tomorrow and bake on Tuesday.

I hope this basket can hold double this dough

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...