Thursday, June 16, 2011

wasabi macarons and other weird stuff


coconut and wasabi macarons from Vollenweider

Vollenweider Chocolatier is kinda new in Zurich. I've passed by it a lot of times with my kids, but it looked a little too fancy for the stroller/roller crowd. I'm not saying I stick exclusively to grocery store cheapies. I enjoy occasionally getting special treats for my kids and don't cringe anymore when they gobble down delicate pricey sweets in under 30 seconds. I like to think I'm creating memories and if I'm lucky, developing a sophisticated palate. Oh, naïveté.



one bite = 2 francs ... fancy treats in the city with mom = priceless

Anyhoo, I finally went to Vollenweider "ohne Kinder" and I just may have found my new favorite treat in Zurich. For the record, I adore Sprungli's luxemburglis, especially caramel fleur de sel. And Ladurée's macarons are irresistible, as is anything French. But Vollenweider is having a lot of fun with their confections and I'm happy to have them in the mix.


they don't label the flavors so you have to ask the salesperson to recite them, annoying

In addition to regular flavors, they have some wonderful whimsical offerings. So far I've tried wasabi, chili pepper, peanut butter, peppermint, coconut, and a couple others I forgot. I loved them all, but maybe the wasabi one the most because it was so surprising and flirty. Peanut butter is a close second and I'll go back for that one again and again. (P.S. Not every flavor is there every time, so you might have to go a few times to try them all.)


Their macarons are small and delicate like luxemburglis. This peanut butter one was super delicate and seemed to start self-destructing after a few minutes.



I tried a few of their chocolates, all good. I liked the chocolate mousse one the best because I'd never had such a thing before. Instead of a thick ganache, the chocolate was filled with a super light and fluffy mousse. It seems so obvious and perhaps every chocolate shoppe makes them, but it was a first for me.

I also tried their chocolate mousse cake, which was sophisticated and yummy even if it's not my preferred style of cake. I'm an American girl and I like my cakes thick, tall and moist not thin and soaked in syrup. They have lots of other pretty offerings including cupcakes, giving me lots of reasons to go back.



And by the way, they have been very friendly to my children and even given out "free" treats to them. And they happily agreed to let me take pictures in the store. So far, so good.


this little cutie was on the house

Vollenweider Chocolatier
Haltestelle Opernhaus
Theaterstrasse 1
8001 Zürich

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I am contacting you from a news network called The Local (Europes news in english). We have a proposal for your blog and since i cannot find your email here, I would be really happy if you could contact me on richard.buch@thelocal.com

Best regards

Richard Buch

P.S. Really like our recipes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...