Saturday, January 10, 2009

pie bag

I just had a visitor from the US, so I have lots of fun new kitchen tools to play with. Perhaps my favorite is this pie crust pouch that I got from Fantes (my favorite kitchen supply site). I used to roll my dough between parchment to prevent the crust from sticking to my rolling pin or soaking up too much flour. But the parchment slides all over the counter. Not only does this pie bag help you roll in a properly sized circle (I got the 14in bag, which helps me roll to 12in, perfect for a 9in dish), but if you slightly wet the counter, it sticks in place and doesn't move unless you purposely tug at it. I love it! Best $4.49 I ever spent. See it in action...


my little dough ball, ready to get worked


rolled out to 12 inches


unzip and peel off the top, flip over and peel off the bottom


use the bag to help you flip the dough over onto the pie dish


it doubles as a pie storage bag - I just zip up the baked pie and place it into the fridge without all that fuss with plastic wrap

6 comments:

Chris said...

I'm becoming a fan of Fantes--I just bought a pair of tinned loaf pans from them. Also, I bought the KD-7000 scale (not the fancier one that you have) and am really pleased with it. Now it looks like I'll be ordering a pastry bag. Genius!

Astrid said...

I love kitchen gadgets! Good post! I also bought a couple toys in France, including a metal sort of necklace that serves as pie weights: coil it around the bottom of the pie crust, then pull it out with a fork. I haven't tried it yet but it looks fun.

SwissMiss said...

That is so amazing! Why didn't someone think of this before!

Alice said...

AWESOME! I was in Sur La Table twice this week and thought of you. They have one within a mile of my house.

Chantal said...

That is soooooooo cool!
I have major apprehensions when it comes to pies because of crustophobia, i think ill get me one of these, thanks for sharing

jessicalangprice said...

Oh WOW...I LOVE this idea. I'm going to have to get me one of those!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...