Wednesday, January 14, 2009

it's a circus



In addition to all the kitchen gadgets I ordered myself, my step-mom brought several more as Christmas gifts and I'm having great fun using them. She brought this cute animal crackers kit from Williams-Sonoma and my 4yr old has been very anxious to put it to good use. I was a little skeptical as kits like this often look very cute but don't work very well. But happily, I was wrong; it was fun and the cookies are yummy. 



The cutters work with a spring action. First you press the cutter into the dough, then you lift the cutter with the dough still inside and set the cutter down on your baking sheet. Then you press the lever down to make the impression, holding the cutter down on the sheet. Then press the lever and life the cutter to release the dough. It took some practice to make the impressions deep enough but not too deep, going all the way through. The method is a little fussy and my 4yr old got bored after one sheet. But overall, I liked the kit and definitely liked the results.
 

 




The recipe comes on the back of the box (and on their website) and the only change I would make is to reduce the cooking time from 14-16mins to 9-10mins. At 14mins, mine were positively burnt (I was frantically cooking dinner and wasn't watching them closely).  Also, I skip the whole 2hrs in the fridge thing. I just roll my out immediately after mixing and stick it outside in the below zero weather for 10mins and then start cutting. Little boys just can't wait all day for cookies.

7 comments:

Alice said...

You are such a cool mom!

Fredrica said...

Oh I love them. I have to get those for Isabella and me. You are such cool mom.

Astrid said...

I MUST have these! The cookies are beautiful! Who cares if the kids don't have the attention span to use them, I would have fun... And it looks like you can make your cookies as thin as you like and still get the indentations, which is cool. I have another gadget that lets you write a message on a cookie, but it kind of forces you to make thick cookies.

Tanya D said...

Astrid - you would love these :) The instructions say to roll dough to 1/8in thick, the thinnest rolling sticks in the set. You could probably go thinner if you didn't press to hard on the impression, but the dough is a little fragile, it might break.

Tanya D said...

Astrid - I forgot to say that you're welcome to borrow them any time.

Julie Ramsay said...

They were very yummy too!

jessicalangprice said...

They were so yummy too! I'm glad I was at Jenna's the day you brought some over. So cute, great idea, I'll have to try it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...