Tuesday, December 04, 2007

rolling sticks


exactly 5mm - I love being precise

My new favorite low-tech gadget is these rolling pin sticks that ensure your dough is rolled evenly to a specific thickness. They come in various sizes like 1/8 in, 1/4in, 1/2in, etc. You place them on either side of the dough and roll your rolling pin over them and the dough. No more uneven dough, no more guessing how tall the dough is. These are called Teighölzer in Zurich and I got them at Manor (although I heard they are available at Migros, etc.). You can also use rolling pin rings, basically rubber bands of various thicknesses that slide on the end of your rolling pin.

Also, if you aren't rolling your dough between parchment paper, start today. No more dough sticking to the counter and no more extra counter flour in your dough. Just roll your super sticky dough between the parchment, stick it in the fridge or freezer for awhile. When firm, take it out to cut or manipulate as needed. If your dough has lots of butter - act fast. My sugar cookies and gingerbread dough go from ice cold to practically liquid in under five minutes.


rolling pin sticks also double as a great toy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look cool! I wonder if i can get them in America, if not probably the internet. Either way, these seem really handy, I always hate having to add extra four wile rolling things out.

Astrid said...

My you've been busy these days! So many great posts!

I've been tempted by these sticks but I worry they will result in fairly thick dough. The Swiss like their Güetzli on the thick side, I like my cut-out cookies quite thin.

Tanya D said...

Hi Astrid - my sticks are 3mm, 5mm, and 10mm which is roughly 1/8in, 1/4in, and 1/2 in. Do you roll yours even thinner than 3mm? That's pretty thin!

Tanya D said...

Hi again Astrid - I just realized that in my original post I said 5cm, not 5mm - so you perhaps you thought I was making super tall cookies (is it even possible to make a 5cm tall cookie?). Anyway, I should have said 5mm, which is not very thick. I'm still curious how thin you roll yours.

Astrid said...

Oh good thing I checked, I'm terrible at following up on questions I ask in comments on blogs... I never noticed the 5cm, that would indeed have been grotesque. 3mm sounds good. If you want to see how thick I make mine, look here or here or on the last video posted here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...