Sunday, February 17, 2008

what did I order?

Swiss cuisine is so predictable that if I see something I don't understand on the menu, I order it. Sometime I ask the waiter what it is, but I usually don't understand their explanation enough to figure out what I might get. Almost every time, I've gotten something really yummy.

Yesterday at Hintergiessboden on Zugerberg was no exception, though there was a twist. I thought I was ordering fish. The waiter returned and asked me something that I thought meant "do I want it all cooked?" This was confusing so I asked if the fish was too big and perhaps he was asking if I wanted only a half portion. After a couple of minutes, we realized that I had ordered "fleisch" (meat), not fish and he was asking how I wanted it cooked, medium or well-done. We settled on medium and I awaited my fate. I got a steak, nicely presented and delicious, covered in garlic butter. Throughout the meal, I was raving about the meat, how tender and tasty it was. It didn't cut like a regular steak, it kinda fell apart like a roast.

Later that night I translated what I had ordered and discovered that I had eaten....


you guessed, horse meat. Specifically, I had ordered Fohlenfillet, which translates to foal or young horse. So not only did I eat a horse, but the horse equivalent of veal. I wasn't disgusted like I eaten a spider or something. I just felt dirty and a little sad, like I just ate a puppy or endangered animal. So gauche. Today, I've been treated to all manner of neighing and clip-clopping around the house.


we started with housemade garlic bread, super yum


Max opted for the horse-free Aelplermagronen, the swiss mac n'cheese

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does look very tasty. What did it taste like?

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Awwww!!!! Baby horse!!!

threeorangewhips said...

I tasted a couple of bites and it was delicious! It gives new meaning to the phrase, "I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse!"

Amy McCown said...

I have had horse before. I was in Guatemala and it was served to us. It was supposed to be rude to not eat it. It was not my favorite meal.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...